Once you’ve achieved your Level 1, The Canterbury Bike Project can help you get your Level 2. We run a 7 day course that teach bike mechanics to City & Guilds “Level 2 Cycle Mechanic” standard – the industry standard qualification for professional mechanics.
Who is it for?
This is a professional qualification for anyone wanting to work in the bicycle industry who wants the next level of accreditation of bicycle mechanics to put on their CV.
It is a professional course with lots of hands-on activities. You are expected to have attained the Level 1. There is a written element to the course which is assessed.
What does it cover?
- Day 1 – Workshop induction, health & safety, tyres tubes and punctures
- Day 2 – Brakes: remove, replace & configure V-brakes, Cantilever and Dual Pivot rim brake assemblies. Introduction to cable and hydraulic disc brakes
- Day 3 – Gears: remove, replace & configure derailleurs, chain, cassette/freewheel, chain set, cables and shifters
- Day 4 – Hub bearings: remove, replace & service loose and cartridge bearings
- Day 5 – Bottom brackets (adjustable, cartridge & external); cranks; facing bottom brackets
- Day 6 – Headset assembly & servicing; facing & reaming the headtube
- Day 7 – Full bike re-build, systematic bike check & final assessments
Each area will be assessed as we cover it. On completion of all assessments, you will achieve a City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Cycle Mechanics (3902-28).
What should you bring?
The course is taught in our fully equipped workshop in the heart of Canterbury. Each student has there own work station with a comprehensive range of tools. Each workstation is complete with bike stand and bike on which to work. Each workstation also has overalls, gloves, and any Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) needed for the course. All you need to bring is a pen and notebook.
All learners will also get a free copy of the Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair to take away.
£1,100 per place. Book online, below. Either pay in full today or select ‘pay later’ and we will get in touch to discuss a payment plan.
The course runs over seven (7) full days. This can be consecutive or a number of days per week over a number of weeks. We try to be as accommodating as possible. You must attend all days and pass all assessments to achieved certification.
If you have any questions or would like an informal chat about this, or other course we can offer, then please contact us.